[governance] ICANNs CEO & President

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 10:59:52 EDT 2009

Hello,

The position of CEO of ICANN is halfway between a Corporate and an Electoral
appointment. If it were a position such as the office of a Senator or a
Minister, the process would attract candidates who throw themselves up for
public scrutiny for months beginning with the 'Primary' part of the process.
If it were such an absolute Public Office, there would probably be a
willingness to 'contest' or 'compete' for the office.

This position has public responsibilities but has more features of a
Corporate CEO appointment, so those qualified to offer to be candidates are
likely to insist on confidentially perhaps bordering on Secrecy. If a
serving CEO of a company SUCH AS Nokia Siemens or General Motors were to
offer to be a candidate for the ICANN position, is it likely that we would
expect them to have their names publicly thrown scrutiny in a pool of ten or
more possible candidates? In all probability such candidates might prefer to
keep their candidature unannounced until formally confirmed. Some might even
feel uncomfortable exposing their interest to a committe of five which is
too many...

It depends on what traits the Community looks for. A hundred 'political'
candidates might queue up for public scrutiny if ICANN is looking for a
political person. On the other hand it might take a million dollars in
Headhunting effort to find even one or two candidates with the right
attitude, background and a sense of purpose and this class of candidates
wouldn't like the Primary public screening, secondary hearing, campaign,
influence, caucus, final hearing, appointment, ratification, review cycle...

The community is right in its demand for transparency, but an insistence on
transparency at the initial phase of the process might be counterproductive
in the sense that it could discourage really qualified candidates who might
prefer to be quiet about their pursuits until the time comes to make a
public announcement.

A 'meet the candidates' at Sydney or elsewhere could be a good idea if it
works, if it is feasible, if it is acceptable by the candidates, but if it
can't happen, some alternate form of transparency could be thought of by the
community. Perhaps the community could ask for periodic updates from the
Committee about what it can share of  the progress of the process ?

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
http://isocmadras.blogspot.com

2009/4/17 "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>