[governance] ICANNs CEO & President

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Fri Apr 17 09:16:35 EDT 2009

Dear list

as we all know there is a process under way to select/elect a new CEO & President for ICANN.

My knowledge for the moment is that a special head hunting company was hired and a special board committee with five members (ICANN directors, chaird by the ICANN chair) is dealing with the issue. However there is only little transparency in the procress of nomination and selection so far.

During the Mexico At Large Summit we called for more transparncy in ICANN procedures. I do not know what other members of the list are thinking but my understanding is that at least some transparency in the process would be important to build trust and institutional confidence into the future of ICANN. I understand very well - as a former Associated Chair of the NomCom - that some elements of the process has to be handled in a confidential way. However the CEO& President is different from an ordinary ICANN Director and it would be helpful for the whole community and the various constituencies that they are - in one way or another - informed and partly also involved in the process.

My understanding of the timetable is that until the Sydney meeting there will be a shortlist and after the Sydney meeting the Board will make its decision.The CEO is elected by the Board.

One idea to improve and enhance trust and transparency could be that during the forthconing Sydney meeting the shortlisted candidates are invited to present their views and visions on ICANNs operation and its future. They should be available also for a Q&A sessions to the broader ICANN community. The At Large Community would be the legtimite body to ask for such a publich hearing. It would be very consistent with what we called for in the ATLAS Mexico Declaration.

Wolfgang
     governance at lists.cpsr.org