[governance] more Re: Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 13:47:24 EST 2005

Dear Parminder,
 On 11/9/05, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Any agency finally has to be
> located in one country or the other - and therefore has to have a host
> country arrangement.

 I would just like to mention that the World Wide Web Consortium that
handles standard setting for the Web around Tim Berners-Lee has no single
location and no structure but uses multiple HOST ENTITIES agreements (not
host countries).
 The initial setting up of W3C was done through three separate agreements :
with MIT, with INRIA in France and Keio University in Japan. It is now
hosted by MIT (US), ERCIM (France) and Keio (Japan, with 15 offices around
the world. More information at : http://www.w3.org/Consortium/
 I know some actors resent the relatively closed nature of the W3C (a
Consortium) that constrast with the open nature of IETF. But for the
discussion at stake, the example shows that innovations can also exist in
structures. The only solution to any international problem is not the UN
model of one Agency in one country with diplomats attending meetings. More
lightweight and distributed frameworks can be imagined and work effectively.
As a matter of fact, had ICANN be set up in a more distributed manner in the
first place - or at least have evolved in the first years or its existence -
many of the symbolically-loaded problems we are facing today would probably
have been reduced.
 But the whole discussion within WSIS never mentions the W3C. Probably
because they did not participate. As a matter of fact, during a discussion a
few months ago, Jean-François Abramatic, who was the first Chairman of W3C,
told me that the W3C could not be accredited as a CS entity to WSIS
precisely because it was not a formal structure. They found it so ironic
that they decided not to participate, even under the umbrella of another
accredited entity.
 My two cents
 Bertrand