[governance] more Re: Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Nov 10 07:14:08 EST 2005

At 11:26 PM +0530 11/9/05, Parminder wrote:
>I already said that if we speak about ICANN reform without clarifying on its
>political oversight - it will be taken as we either will like to keep
>present oversight mechanism (US) or have no oversight. And that's a problem
>from my point of view....
>
>However, if we clearly agree on the political oversight part - as for
>example recommending option 3 of WGIG report, than to mention these points
>(as mentioned in your mail below) is perfectly fine....
>
>And I don't think 'host country agreement'; is a problematic term as such
>for any or 'many governments' - but that if the political oversight
>arrangements are clear to be multi-lateral.

Parminder,

You missed earlier discussion about this. We thought ICANN did not
need a host country agreement in the typical sense, so rather than
creating expectations of diplomatic immunities, schooling
arrangements, etc. it seemed sensible to be specific about what we
thought ICANN needed to provide global services equitably. What you
saw is the result.

For what it's worth, quite a number of govt people we spoke to
advised against using "host country agreement".

Adam