[governance] Yahoo messages classified as spam Re: new methods URGENT - BE CAREFUL

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Mon May 23 11:52:51 EDT 2016

Thank you very much Norbert for the clarification.
I note the expert advice offered:
The email expert recommended that mailing list operators suspend the list
posting rights of yahoo.com users and ask them to re-subscribe to their
lists with accounts from different email providers.
I also note the date of the article:

   - Apr 8, 2014 6:10 AM
   - Such a pity that in more than two years some type of reconciliation of
   methods could not be achieved.
   - Thanks again for the explanation
   - Deirdre

On 23 May 2016 at 11:31, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 May 2016 10:50:49 -0400
> Deirdre Williams <williams.deirdre at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Second - instead of admonishing
> > Arsene for his Yahoo account should we not ask ourselves WHY Google
> > puts Yahoo messages in a spam folder?

> (The change in which this brokenness was extended to also include e.g.
> yahoo.fr was relatively recent.)
>
> > Is the intention perhaps to
> > create peer pressure (as has happened here) to make the Yahoo user
> > switch to a Gmail account?
>
> No. Google is handling the messages precisely in the way in which
> according to Yahoo they should be handled. It is Yahoo that should be
> blamed for using such DMARC settings for domains which host customer
> email addresses -- where there is no justification for assuming that
> people would never use such email addresses for subscribing to mailing
> lists.
>
> > Rather than blaming Arsene, perhaps we
> > should try to find a way to MAKE Google listen? Otherwise the
> > response from IGC members might well be to abandon Google until it
> > changes its ways?
>
> Trying to make Yahoo listen (which many people have tried already,
> unsuccessfully), and avoiding Yahoo until it changes its ways, would be
> a more reasonable response.
>
> As things are, Yahoo email addresses are currently not suitable for
> subscribing to mailing lists which conform to the relevant standards
> for how mailing lists should work.
>
> That said, some mailing lists use mitigation measures (implemented as
> an optional feature for example in recent versions of GNU Mailman) which
> change the From: header for postings from domains that have such DMARC
> settings. Such From: header munging is a violation of the relevant
> standards for how mailing lists should work, but it is an effective
> work-around.
>
> Greetings,
> Norbert

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979