[governance] Yahoo messages classified as spam Re: new methods URGENT - BE CAREFUL

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon May 23 11:31:53 EDT 2016

On Mon, 23 May 2016 10:50:49 -0400
Deirdre Williams <williams.deirdre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Second - instead of admonishing
> Arsene for his Yahoo account should we not ask ourselves WHY Google
> puts Yahoo messages in a spam folder?

(The change in which this brokenness was extended to also include e.g.
yahoo.fr was relatively recent.)

> Is the intention perhaps to
> create peer pressure (as has happened here) to make the Yahoo user
> switch to a Gmail account?

No. Google is handling the messages precisely in the way in which
according to Yahoo they should be handled. It is Yahoo that should be
blamed for using such DMARC settings for domains which host customer
email addresses -- where there is no justification for assuming that
people would never use such email addresses for subscribing to mailing
lists.

> Rather than blaming Arsene, perhaps we
> should try to find a way to MAKE Google listen? Otherwise the
> response from IGC members might well be to abandon Google until it
> changes its ways?

Trying to make Yahoo listen (which many people have tried already,
unsuccessfully), and avoiding Yahoo until it changes its ways, would be
a more reasonable response.

As things are, Yahoo email addresses are currently not suitable for
subscribing to mailing lists which conform to the relevant standards
for how mailing lists should work.

That said, some mailing lists use mitigation measures (implemented as
an optional feature for example in recent versions of GNU Mailman) which
change the From: header for postings from domains that have such DMARC
settings. Such From: header munging is a violation of the relevant
standards for how mailing lists should work, but it is an effective
work-around.

Greetings,
Norbert