[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Nov 30 11:11:31 EST 2013

On Saturday 30 November 2013 06:58 PM, Deirdre Williams wrote:
> Some concepts are too complex to force them into a single word.
> Deirdre

Deirdre/ All

Most things in social and political discourse are complex. However,
there is always a way to build categories, split issues, and progress in
steps , whereby we can certainly talk meaningfully about them and make
social and political progress... Such a shared intention is key...

I think there are two clear issues about 'internationalisation of ICANN'

1. Its legal status, and the jurisdiction to which it is subject.

2. The actual role of US-NTIA in authorising every change in the root file.

It seems that other than the US gov itself, everyone agrees that US-NTIA
should be divested of that 'root change authorising' role..... Then the
question comes; (a) should the role then be exercised directly and
finally by ICANN itself, or (b) another body to undertake this role (and
just this role and nothing else) is needed.

A lot of people - including i* group - are of the opinion that (a) above
is the best option. Some others think that every significant decision
pertaining to a crucial global infrastructure should be subject to a
second opinion or confirmation, as a normal prudence, by a body
different from the executive authority (ICANN Board). One way would be
to have some kind of international oversight board (not necessarily
inter-gov) undertaking the same role as undertaken by US-NTIA today.
Another way is to allow ICANN to make root changes but all such
decisions are post facto reviewed and confirmed by such an international
oversight board. ( Whether with a pre facto or post facto role, such an
oversight board will exercise its role within clearly set our parameters
and rules.) A third way is to only have an appellate board which reviews
root change decisions only if an appeal is made to it through a due
process.

Therefore, on point 2 above, we can easily agree to ask US-NTIA to shed
its oversight role. What should further be done can be discussed along
the above three lines (others may add more options if any)

Point 1 above is more contentious. Although, in principles, it is easy
to assert that a global resource cannot be subject to the jurisdiction
of one country and that it should be subject to international
jurisdiction. The issue then is; how to form such an international
jurisdiction.

Here too, it is easy for us as a civil society group to assert the
principle - yes, it is untenable that ICANN continues to be subject to
US law and jurisdiction. ICANN needs to be made subject to international
law and jurisdiction. Lets do first agree on this principle. If we do,
we can then take up the subsequent discussion of how to establish an
appropriate jurisdiction and legal framework for ICANN. I am sure we can
close onto a few clear options, if not agree on one.

A structured discussion on the above lines will help identify areas we
all agree on, explore the possibility of convergences on those we do
not, and in the latter case, at least come out with a clear set of
alternatives.

parminder