[governance] EU Commissioner

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Fri Nov 15 12:20:18 EST 2013

Good points!

------------
C. A. Afonso

-------- Original message --------
From: Jean-Louis FULLSACK <jlfullsack at orange.fr>
Date: 15-11-2013  11:57  (GMT-03:00)
To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org,"CarlosA.Afonso" <ca at cafonso.ca>,LouisPouzinwell <pouzin at well.com>
Subject: Re: [governance] EU Commissioner

dear carlos

I do share all your arguments against cloud computing. I'd add another one, based on technical and networking aspects of the "cloud", which is particularly relevant -although not solely- for developing countries. It concerns network reliability which conditions the ability of any user for accessing his cloud stored data and tools. In Europe -the realm of "aunt Nelly"- network reliability (availability) is generally at a high standard. However even some well-known legacy networks were suffering severe breakdowns in the recent past (BT, SFR, FT, among others).  A complementary aspect of this argument is the QoS that has to be at an appropriate standard over the time for guarantiing a regular dataflow between the user and the cloud server(s).

But both of these issues are very problematic in DCs, and I specially consider Africa. In these countries electricity supply is poor -when it exists- and this interferes severely with both network availability and server availability. These arguments are generally ignored by those enthousiastic folks that officiate in so-called high level sessions of the WSIS Fora; probably do they have some reasons ...

Best regards

Jean-Louis Fullsack