[governance] IGF Cancelled

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jul 27 02:13:25 EDT 2013

On Friday 26 July 2013 10:04 AM, parminder wrote:

> On Friday 26 July 2013 09:16 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>> On 26/07/13 11:31, Ang Peng Hwa (Prof) wrote:
>>> According to third party sources I asked, ie not the Indonesians,
>>> one major item that added to the cost is that the UN had apparently
>>> asked for US$900k to fly personnel and security equipment for the
>>> event.
>>
>> Time to cut the UN apron strings.
>
> Why sure, we can check with Google. They will be quite happy to run
> the global internet policy dialogue.... It is most astounding that
> after subverting and ditching the tradition of strictly public funding
> for policy spaces and activities,....

The game has in fact begun.......Google has already offered 20k..... now
we can wait for Facebook, Microsoft and AT&T to come in too.. Inter alia
it can be very useful to wash, or rather 'persuade' people to gloss
over, their sins that we know from Snowden disclosures...

Next, the Indian parliament will fall short on budget and google with
bankroll it too (dont consider it too far fetched, the ideology is fast
catching) .... Do know the future that so many of us seem to so
enthusiastically be rooting for....

And all this (public fund shortfalls) of course happens becuase in the
first place google et al do not pay their taxes.... What a good use of
the money saved in this way to bankroll policy spaces.... you can try
and steer the debates away from any possible tax avoidance discussions,
or from a discussion on the role of global Internet companies in using
personal data for various kinds of control, political as well as economic...

ICANN had more than 50 million US dollars in cash reserve, coming from
the Internet tax they collect from Internet users. This inflow/reserve
is expected to balloon with the new gtld program.. It is this money
that should be employed for funding the global IG policy dialogue, ie is
the IGF.... Rather than just using it to build and cultivate a community
of rather fanatic supporters of ICANN...

Such a proposal for using ICANN collected funds to support the IGF was
put forward in the WG on IGF Improvements by my organisation as well as
by India, and supported by developing countries. Why did other non gov
stakeholders (including civil society) and developed countries oppose
this proposal.... Can at least the civil society members of that group
who are on this list explain.... I can see why private sector or
corporate funded technical community did not want it... can also see the
agenda of US supporting developed country constituency.... but why did
civil society oppose it... If the IGF is really their most loved child...

All of them opposed UN funding for the IGF (which they will pass off as
likely to increase US control - never mind corporate control).... but
can they explain why they opposed 'committed' funding from ICANN
collected Internet taxes, say of 2 million every year... Isnt that the
right model of funding the IGF , keeping if safe from staist as well
corporate controls....

To avoid such obvious models of 'public' funding for the IGF seems to me
almost a certainly deliberate strategy to ensure corporatist control
over the IGF... I am happy to hear argument against this proposition.

Can we have a discussion on this here - the appropriate model for
funding the IGF... Can various actors present their arguments for and
against the model I propose....

parminder