[governance] Bloomberg - The Overzealous Prosecution of Aaron Swartz

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jan 20 05:08:31 EST 2013

On Sunday 20 January 2013 03:00 PM, Adam Peake wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I don't recall support the notion of US Exceptionalism from anyone on
> this list.

No one will profess that term for oneself. However, clearly it is US
Exceptionalism being practised when:

1. anyone agrees or shows strong sympathy with the view that US has (not
just 'had') a 'historic role' in the evolution of the Internet (and
perhaps in protection of its 'basic principles', whatever it may mean)
and /therefore/ some degree of continued pre-eminence of the US
government in some key IG arrangements, including of the CIRs, is fine/
acceptable...

2. anyone is fine with US laws/ courts/ executive/ statutory authorities
(FCC, FTC etc) determine much of how the Internet's architecture
develops, whether through US law/ jurisdiction’s application on the
ICANN, or on most of the monopoly global Internet mega-corporates....

In fact, if the IGC can agree that such US exceptionalism is /wrong and
unacceptable/, and sincerely begins to make political proposals to come
out of it, we would have reconciled a lot of political differences among
the members of IGC, and also made a great contribution to the area of
global governance of the Internet.

parminder