[governance] Bloomberg - The Overzealous Prosecution of Aaron Swartz

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sun Jan 20 04:30:09 EST 2013

I understood the term "US Exceptionalism" to mean something along the lines
that US culture was in some what superior.  Guru, your comment encouraged a
search, and finding a result on wikipedia "American exceptionalism is the
proposition that the United States is different from other countries in
that it has a specific world mission to spread liberty and democracy." And
this would fit with Riaz's use, given the context.

To the first, hard to think how US culture is superior (special and often
great, and often not so great). Second, idea that the US has some god given
mission to spread liberty and democracy does seem to live on in the US
State department and they seem blind of the hyprocacry of (etc etc) Bradley
Manning, SOPA, Guantanamo Bay... and (IG/IGF context) sale by US companies
of software/hardware that enables repressive regimes to block/track/monitor
etc (as discussed at the 1st IGF, when Google and Cisco were criticized.)

I don't recall support the notion of US Exceptionalism from anyone on this
list.

Adam