[governance] Conflicts in Internet Governance

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Tue Apr 16 00:16:03 EDT 2013

Avri,

On 04/15/2013 07:25 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not see the contradiction in 1. You are assuming that the
> citizens have only one form of participation. And you are assuming
> that people only interact in government in one way. Personally I also
> advocate a multistakeholder approach within a country by those living
> in that country. Of course that its not the case very often at this
> point. As for enforcement that happens in many ways, some of which may
> even be citizen based.

Perhaps 'some of enforcement' may be citizen based (request you to give
examples). But that may be an exception to the rule that it is the
Government which has the duty to enforce law. Do you accept this.
citizens enforcing law just like the government is nothing but vigilantism.

If so, do you accept that Government has a different role from other
stakeholders in this important task of enforcing law?

> On the second point, ultimately the legitimacy of any government rests
> with the citizen, whether as voter, organizer, advocate, demonstrator
> or activist. So government only rules to the extent to which those who
> live in a country allow them to rule. Indeed in case of the worse
> autocracy the citizen effort to change things is quite huge and
> sometimes deadly, but as the seasonal, color and other revolutions
> show, the people have the power when they decide they need to take the
> power.

Nicely said. That finally Government legitimacy is provided by the
citizen. In our democracies, including as a voter to unseat governments
if needed. Thus there is a special relationship of accountability of the
government to the citizen

Such an accountability, alas, is not available vis-a-vis the private
sector or individuals. So how do you see a corporate or even a technical
expert as an 'equal' stakeholder in policy making?

I have no hesitation in agreeing that Governments can be authoritarian,
corrupt, inefficientetc etcetc. However, I am not able to understand how
you think that their role in governance (enforcing law being a very
important component of this) can be 'equated' to other stakeholders.

Your clarifications on my points will help me better understand your view.

regards,
Guru