[governance] Conflicts in Internet Governance

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Apr 16 01:10:34 EDT 2013

Hi,

- Community boards are used in all sorts of circumstances to enforce local ordinance and policy.  It is true that one of the roles of the government to run the policing function.  and in the best cases, the policing function is under constant review/oversight by citizen review boards.  I never claimed they had not function.  But I do claim that function can and must be equivalent to the other functions.  Governments are not our masters, they are of, by and for the people. We are their masters, and at the very least their equals in the multistakeholder process.

- Actually private corporations are accountable to the stockholders and their customers.    All people who have chosen freely to interact with them at various levels of contractual and consumer relationship with them. I may not be the greatest fan of the accountability feedback loop in most business but there is one (except maybe banks and other money for money's sake types of businesses).  And some businesses are committing themselves to structures such as GNI that add extra public accountability mechanisms.  This is a good thing that will make them more accountable.

- in non commercial organization there is always a board, and advisory committees of some sort and various forms of oversight.  In the Internet context that is the multistakeholder governance processes.

avri

GNI - http://www.globalnetworkinitiative.org