[governance] Re: Facebook and the nipplegate: New Yorker temporarily banned

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 16:25:29 EDT 2012

> If you say vagina on FaceBook, do police come to your place in the middle
> of the night, toss you in jail, and throw away the key?  Do they harass
> your friends and family and anyone else who's been associated with you?
>  And are you unable to read about vaginas anywhere else on the net because
> they they get hypersensitive about what's on their site due to government
> pressures?

According to official numbers, which are probably underestimated, four
women per hour are victims of gender-biased violence in my country,
especially sexual violence. This type of violence stems from conservative
values, from patriachalism, from an attempt to deny women the right to
freely express their sexuality. These conservative values are being
reinforced and made "natural" by policies adopted by companies like FB and
Apple. So don't tell me that this private censorship is a fact without
real, concrete and painful consequences only because the world media has
chosen to place the spotlight on the several (horrible and unacceptable)
cases about political censorship, and not on violence against women.

> and, in my opinion, fruitless debate. Ask any woman who has been engaged
> in activism on sexual and reproductive rights the importance of this
> globally omnipresent company's censorship on the word "vagina".
>

> I certainly agree it's dumb.  Why not try to mobilize FB users who care
> about this and start a dialogue, put some pressure on FB?

Trying, including here :)

> In addition, in my opinion, private censorship can be much more dangerous
> exactly because they do not come from imposition (rough power), but from
> soft power. To organize and resist soft power and to distinguish where "the
> enemy lies" is much harder. Conservative ideas get embedded in our minds
> before we have the chance to question them. It is certainly easier to
> identify that "chinese firewall is bad".
>

> I don't think it is conservative to point out that people are rotting in
> jails and otherwise seriously repressed by that firewall and actions like
> it.

Not at all what I meant. Conservative ideas = aforementioned conservative
values.

> I hope we learn to split our attention among these important cases of
> censorship more wisely.
>

> Agreed

Then we agree to agree :)