[governance] Re: Facebook and the nipplegate: New Yorker temporarily banned

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Sep 16 16:14:49 EDT 2012

Agree with Marilia. The Paypal actions against Wikileaks stays in my mind as
another example.

Yes, unilateral corporate censorship is a growing problem. But in dealing
with it we have to point out that the dangers of unilateral government
censorship without consultation with other affected jurisdictions presents
similar problems. At the very least, we need some universally agreed to
guiding principles for such actions ­ and this would be in the interests of
corporations, who must be driven crazy dealing with the whims and political
motivations of 180 odd separate nation state entities all demanding separate
actions within their jurisdictions on a network which was not designed to be
able to affect separate national content variations.

Ian Peter