[governance] In Multistakeholderism, those who would be Lobbyists become Legislators, & nobody else has a vote

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 16:55:24 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:

>  [...] but these are distinct from deliberative fora wherein
> reason/power/argument/evidence etc are used to get at a decision...
> methinks that one of the issues is that representivity is conflated with
> deliberation...

Normally, in governance fora that have democratic legitimacy, the lobbyists
(business, experts, civil society) can and do provide excellent
deliberation in the context of hearings, informal meetings, and advisory
bodies, as well as other contexts.

But as this thread is titled, these lobbyists become the legislators
themselves in multistakeholder-style situations.  By conflating the desire
for deliberation with the issues of representation, the talking points for
MS governance consist largely if not totally of the high-deliberation
values provided by MS fora.  But again, all of this deliberation and more
can be had as an adjunct to a legitimately democratic system that does not
also invest the non-representative lobbyists with  all the power.

So I agree that Riaz Tayob makes a good observation in this sense about
conflating deliberation values with representation (and legitimacy).
Nobody consciously dispenses with either value, but only the absence of
representativity is fatal.

Paul Lehto, J.D.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.