[governance] "Oversight"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jun 9 01:48:55 EDT 2012

On Saturday 09 June 2012 01:38 AM, Lee W McKnight wrote:
> However, and this goes back to the 'devil you know'/poker argument,
> likely if that agreement is framed -just - by people in the community
> that have not yet actually demonstrated - working code - to back up
> the fine words, then while it may be necessary, it will not be sufficient.
>
> IF it is assuming or proposing any technical changes in the system.
>
> So maybe we also need some global distributed rootsigning hackathon(s)
> and simulations to help out Norbert and his instant task force. Of
> course the prof suggests - further research is required! : )

Lee,

My proposal is clear in not seeking any significant technical changes in
the system, or perhaps even any change at all. So I dont know why this
engineering/ working code and financial argument keeps on coming in when
we are speaking of just the oversight model, largely the role that US
gov plays at the moment. I would like to better understand this
counter-argument. The US gov contributes neither working code not any
significant finances to the present model. So why should an alternative
oversight model assemble their technical and financial bid first for the
changeover?

The Tunis Agenda is clear that enhanced cooperation issue excludes day
to day functioning of CIR/ tech management. In my proposal yesterday I
in fact suggested that we go even further and through an international
agreement sanctify the basic principles of the ICANN/ IETF/ RIR model,
minus of course the oversight, which is then shifted vide the same
agreement.

I think (1) technical operations, (2) CIR oversight, and (3) other
larger global public policies have to seen at three different levels,
admitting of different analysis and institutional responses. Some level
of connectedness between them cannot be denied, but seeing them
separately for building an appropriate enhanced cooperation model will
be useful. By my reading, Tunis agenda was able to see these three
levels separately, and perhaps also  as requiring different
institutional responses/ solutions.

parminder