[governance] "Oversight"

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 17:51:05 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM, Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu> wrote:

> However, and this goes back to the 'devil you know'/poker argument, likely
> if that agreement is framed -just - by people in the community that have not
> yet actually demonstrated - working code - to back up the fine words, then
> while it may be necessary, it will not be sufficient.

I believe there is more to than demonstrating something. On one hand
we have a single country demonstrating its power and unilateral
control, on the other hand we expect others to first show by example?

The community is itself not well defined or recognized. An oversight
mechanism has to be proposed. People will not just sit and dream it
up. Governments are likely to attempt just that or are being tempted
to do so already. While some on the list tend to immediately push my
comments into support of IBSA and other non-existant proposed jargon
or G-77, they very well mention governments that are talking about it.
There is something other than G-77 in our part of the world that I
referenced earlier the OIC that  can be pursued and lobbied by non-USG
parties.

There is another getaway I notice, calling governments incapable
bureaucracy, sorry to say, governments will always hold their control
so demonstrating will not help achieve anything. A single sided
documentation of a framework activity will lead no one anywhere and
thats the basis where the uproar against ITU and its ITRs comes from.
The table will be triangular, and though IGF's multistakeholderism
remains immature but it is still the foundational principle of every
IG related discourse. So you have framework point number one on the
lines of the following that might gain a bit of considerable buyin:

The open governance of the Internet and its associated addressing,
protocols, services, standards and resources will always be protected
through a true multistakeholder led model that gives no single
individual, government or stakeholder group the unilateral right to
oversee the functions of this global public resource.

--
Regards.