[governance] Re: Nomcom reform

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Feb 5 11:57:58 EST 2012

Dear Coordinators/ All

I propose that we do at least a part of this discussion on the issues
that some may have with the process adopted by the present nomcom on a
closed IGC members only list. And for this purpose, of course, I propose
that such a list be created.

While most of our discussion should indeed take place here in the open,
and this includes discussions regarding nomcom reforms, it will be
useful to take some of the discussion to a closed members list. We may
not want to be too deeply questioning the legitimacy of our, I mean
IGC's, own position and legitimacy in the open, and we know that such
questions do open up as a part of such discussions.

One also feels that IGC members will be able to give better attention to
such organisational issues without the general noise of the ongoing
discussions of the IGC list. Also, maybe, members will also feel  more
responsible to contribute to resolution of organisational matters in
such a closed list.

(I feel that there is a considerably reduced level of engagement of IGC
members, at least in terms of a sustained purposeful engagement, with
organisational as well as advocacy issues. It is possible that a pulling
together of the members into a closed group for some core functions will
enlist greater sense of responsiblity and thus engagement. But this is
only a conjecture.)

Such a list has other uses as well, for focussed and purposeful
advocacy, especially when it involves tactical considerations. I wrote a
report of the last meeting of WG on improvements to the IGF summing up
my assessment of where things stand at present, the stances of the key
actors, the important issues and battle-lines, my expectations from the
final meeting later this month, and my assessment of what strategies
civil society should adopt. I had meant to post this report to the IGC
list but then thought the better of it. I would be much more comfortable
submitting it to a closed members only list because the work of the WG
is poised at a delicate point, and so, well, you understand....

Parminder