[governance] Re: Nomcom reform

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sat Feb 4 11:21:01 EST 2012

On Feb 4, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> I think you may be mistaken over the reason this Nomcom was set up or when it was set-up.
> Specifically from <http://lists.igcaucus.org/arc/governance/2011-06/msg00140.html>

Right, as I replied to Jeremy previously, I missed that message (apparently was not alone in this).  So assuming the set-up process was per the charter, the outstanding questions would pertain to just the subsequent conduct, e.g.

>> 	• All nomcom participants, voting and non voting, will be disqualified from selection as candidates for the list or team being chosen. Members of the current appeals team will also be disqualified from being chosen.
>>
>> Should we do a revision, I would add to this that nomcom members who work directly with a candidate should recuse themselves from such discussions.  I don't know whether that happened with the WGIGF selection process, when it should have.
>>
>> 	• Criteria used by nomcom will be made public and will be reviewed by the caucus whenever possible before decisions are made
>>
>> Done long ago for MAG but that text should have been unearthed and followed.
>>
>> 	• All candidates reviewed by nomcom will be made public as will their applications and other information
>>
>> Memory may be failing me, but I believe this was the practice in earlier MAG app rounds and could easily have been followed here.
>>
>> 	• The nomcom chair will put out a report after the selection giving a description of the internal processes used in the selection.

The Chair's pending report could fill in the gaps this time and then going forward we could agree on which bits are supposed to happen prior to the announcement of selections.

BD