[governance] Membership criteria was Re: [] Nomcom reform

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Feb 4 21:20:12 EST 2012

On 4 Feb 2012, at 19:17, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

>> BTW, I should note that since I only signed the membership pledge that is a part of the elections process in the last election, but did not actually vote for anyone, since I was objecting to the lack of a non of the above option, I have been judged a non-member by a previous co-coordinator.  I would still argue that any amendments should be done according to the process defined in the charter.
>>
>> Of course this means that by that judgement I am also no longer a member of the non-appeals team since I am no longer a member.
>
> Why should it mean that? You still have a voter account, hence are still a member for all purposes other than voting on charter amendments.  The Charter only says that "everyone who voted in the previous election will be deemed a member for amending the charter", it doesn't say that they are not members for other purposes.

So by that reasoning there is:

- Members qualified to amend the charter by virtue of having voted
- Members qualified for roles by virtue of "who subscribe to the charter of the caucus. "
- List non-members by virtue of NOT "who subscribe to the charter of the caucus. "

If that is the case, then the membership page should probably reflect those 3 categories as opposed to the two categories it does now.

One thing that would lead to needing amendment to avoid confusion would be:

> The members of the IGC are individuals, acting in personal capacity, who subscribe to the charter of the caucus. All members are equal and have the same rights and duties.

Since this does not seem to allow for two types of members.

It could be amended simply just with: All members are equal and have the same rights and duties unless specified otherwise in this Charter.

Or

There is just one type of membership so the prevailing condition is that one that requires having voted.  This seems to be reflected in the two position membership lists currently posted on the web site.

This one can be upheld without amending the charter and seems to be reflected in current practice.

avri