[governance] Tangential (On Exceptionalism Wikileaks) America's vassal acts decisively and illegally

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 22:56:08 EDT 2012

Snip
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM, <jonathan at jcave.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> (Re)producing selected masses of anonymously contributed documents does
> not, I think, constitute either 'speech' or journalism.

 Traditionally the media has always been touted as the fourth estate. These
days when even traditional media have gradually been challenged whether
through litigation or threat of litigation about "content". It follows that
even mainstream media have the power of being bullied into either "silence"
or threat of "reprisal". This is not new and is common place all over the
world. This of course has created a market for "uncensored content" aka
"reproduction of documents" . Whistleblowing through the Internet has and
continues to gain momentum. Whilst Wikileaks is but a medium, the fact that
it continues to thrive shows the market, there can be no supply if there is
no demand.

Snip

> This does raise an IG issue, since (as you note) only an extreme
> free-information (as distinct from free speech) position would argue
> against any filtration.

Yes, there is an inherent need to discuss the implications of these acts
but more importantly, the philosophy driving the series of actions.