[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Aug 10 13:33:18 EDT 2012

On Friday 10 August 2012 06:34 PM, William Drake wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2012, at 2:37 PM, parminder wrote:
>
>> When someone says that anyone wanting a change has to "outline said
>> plausible alternative and why its risks/costs are less than the
>> certainties/benefits of the SQ", and carries on at length to show -
>> as most of your email does - that there isnt any clear demand for
>> change, and when that someone is not an appointed neutral referee or
>> something but a political player in the arena, then that person's
>> politics is legitimately called as status quoist. I stick to my position.
>
> Which willfully misrepresents my clearly stated position,

> On Aug 10, 2012, at 9:18 AM, William Drake wrote:
>
>> While, like many in CS and the TC, I support the concept of
>> decoupling root change authorizations from sole USG responsibility if
>> and when a plausibly reliable alternative can be identified,

And who will identify this 'plausible reliable alternative' ?? Since you
are very particular others should give precise models - evne when others
indeed are giving them - what is your 'plausible reliable alternative'
on which your supposedly non status quo position is based....

>>  realistically it has to recognized that this would need to be an
>> evolutionary process that plays out over some years,

Either you have a plan for change, or you agree largely with the status
quo. Bill, frankly, I still am not understanding what you are saying
here. No status quoist ever says, nothing even evolutionary will happen
at all, especially when what is that 'evolutionary' thing is not
stated... That does not make someone 'non status quoist'. If you are
one, please tell what is your plan of change - lets hear it.

>> with dialogue and collective learning rather than posturing and
>> demanding as the lead edge.

:). So you can call my politics as aggressive (you did the name calling
first!) - 'posturing and demanding' - and I cant call yours status
quoist.... I know some quarters take on such inequality rather
instinctively...

> So I guess we're done.

Dont go without tell us your own plan of change please :) , since you
are so touchy about being labelled with status quoism.

> You can now get back to sending dozens of long multiscreen messages

You are not the first to speak with such deep derision about my
engagements on this list, even in this thread. I had learnt to deal with
that kind of thing long ago. But maybe at some point I can stop talking,
and few others  who do sometime take up Southern politics here will too....

> claiming to be the tribune of the whole global South

and when we stop talking , you can return to posing as the most
progressive IG voice globally .....
> which all is just having a collective brain embolism over zone file
> signing

No, most of us in the South consider non CIR public policy - of
economic, social, cultural and political kind - even more important than
CIR, and I have said this often. But I hardly ever find anyone here show
interest in the kind of 'global' Internet policy that OECD's CICCP does,
an issue I have tried to invoke often. CIR fixation in fact is on the
other side. I havent been able to attract your attention on
institutional model for non CIR policies - or am I mistaken.  Want to
take the discussion to non CIR policies side of enhanced cooperation? I
am very willing.

> and berating anyone who dares to ask for evidence.
but then why are you reacting so sharply if I dare ask you evidence
about your position.....

parminder