[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:54:26 EDT 2012

I am reading up on this again, but would defer to the likes of Auerbach,
and note the concerns of others on the viability of ITU approach (noting
that the _rumours_ in Geneva at the time of the new SG were that if he
pursued the CIR thing they would make his term look like a bad one), as
well as issues for reform of GAC and IANA (as raised by Parminder).

I am of the predisposition, to use a Rumsfeld term, for full spectrum
engagement, of course not an any means necessary one as resources are
limited.

So varied proposals need to be supported that implicitly or explicitly
support issues that increase legitimacy. Partnerships with the likes of
progressives in these fora need to be built, but I would advise caution
as some reformists are merely minimal accomodationists instead of
pursuing something transformatory.

Further, I would love to hear what China is planning nationally (have
cash and capability - perhaps not everything, but emulation is a
possibility) as well as on Enhanced Cooperation.

It would be great to see a paper on how the CIR and root and
relationships have evolved (as a response to or inspite of) legitimacy
concerns as this would give a spread of the issues.

What proposals are you working on "on the inside" and what do you think
are useful avenues?