[governance] GAC Advice Register

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 20:38:42 EDT 2012

There also something called giving the wrong idea or giving ideas. Some
countries like following by example.

On a desperate and separate note, some countries nearer to my part of the
world have quietly put in policies quietly through non public directives
for censorship, filtering, blocking and DPI surveillance wahay before they
announced preparation for WCIT/ITRs.

For us from this part of the world, the real threat is no more the WCIT/ITR
recommendations but what are countries doing prior to influence and
ascertain their positions and proposals.

We can rant about IGF's lack of outcomes, IBSA, SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, UN
Centric Internet Control and Policing, ITU and WCIT/ITRs, educating
ministers, unilateral propaganda behind a limited IG issue but the reality
is that Internet Access Denied is happening behind the curtains, a
submarine cable termination points on to the national trunks, US and
Canadian companies are selling heaps of surveillance software and hardware
for DPI in the name of cyber security but we are engrossed in gacs and lack
of routing knowledge.

When do we set our concerns straight?

Fouad Bajwa