AW: [governance] Internet G8 meeting

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon May 9 10:13:00 EDT 2011

I would like to support Parminder's comments and overall analysis here.

I think this issue should be put in the larger context of the broad
outsourcing of government policy making (this specific example is
particularly egregious since it isn't simply "outsourcing" but rather it
seems to be putting policy making in these crucial spheres "up for
auction").

In the Canadian and I believe other national contexts this "outsourcing of
government policy making" is a broad trend which began initially with the
destruction of government's internal capacity for research and policy
analysis on the basis of "cost-cutting".  When this proved impossible to
sustain in complex enviroments there was a broad shift to outsourcing these
requirements to private agencies -- mostly privatized think tanks to provide
this type of policy research and analysis.  Since these agencies were
directly funded by the government of the day their capacity to undertake
disinterested (or rather research and policy analysis in the "public
interest" or towards the general good) was of course fatally compromised.

Issues of truly massive financial significance and global reach such as
those involving the Internet (another example of course is the global
financial system) are of particular concern here since what is required are
global regulatory and policy making agencies sufficent to respond to the
scale and scope of the matters at hand.

In the absence of these (as has been commented on repeatedly in this context
in this forum) the need doesn't disappear but the mode of response takes a
typical form at this stage of global development i.e. to turn to those "with
the greatest stake" -- the private corps to provide the advice and policy
direction required. The instrumentalities (including research and policy
analysis) which would allow governments individually or collectively to
undertake the required policy making simply don't exist nor do most of our
current G8 governments want them to exist for ideological reasons.

Guys (and gals) its not that the French government (or the Canadian
government in an earlier iteration) "forgot" to invite Civil Society to the
table it is that they see no need to bring CS to the table and there are no
institutions in most instances either at the naitonal level or at the global
level which are structured in such a way as to require this i.e. to support
"the public interest".

All of which is to say, the instance that Parminder is pointing to is not
isolated and it isn't accidental.

Mike