AW: [governance] Internet G8 meeting

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon May 9 04:12:44 EDT 2011

On Monday 09 May 2011 01:19 PM, Ian Peter wrote:
> My only problem with the text is that it tells them what we think they
> should do without telling them why it would be advantageous to do it
> another way. So its not likely to draw a great deal of attention.
Thanks for your comments, Ian. In general I have no problem with
incorporating your additions, and I will leave it to others to decide on
it. However, I must assert, with the risk of looking like trying to take
the moral high-ground, that civil society's role is not just to give
'technical' advice to others, about what is good for them or not. Our
basic legitimacy is moral and representational... Also it is never
clear, to 'whom' is something advantageous or not  - to the French
President's own interest, the narrow interests of the French state, of
the states of G * together, advantageous to whom?

So while an instrumental logic can be used to supplement our assertions,
they should not be primary, and should in any case be used with great
caution. We need to invlvoe all countries and all stakeholders not
because it is advantageous to the principal parties being addressed
here, (which in nay case they can refute by giving counter logic) but
because that is the democratic and right way to do it. Period. That is
what we stand for and struggle for.

> To this end I would add another paragraph -- perhaps after the "it is
> also pertinent" paragraph, along the lines of
>

> The issues we face with internet governance and internet developments
> are global in nature, and adequate solutions to the problems we face
> will need to involve all countries, as well as a wide range of
> business, civil society and technical interests. All of these inputs
> are essential to any sensible and effective developments in this area,
Begs the question, sensible and effective for whom ?? Some things can be
quite sensible and effective to, say large incumbent businesses, or even
to narrow economic interests of a particular nation state perched at a
particular place in the global digital economy chain or network. that
does not diminish our right and effort to seek democratic participation
in policy making. Also, I dont like the terminology of 'solutions' as if
there are value- and interest- neutral solutions waiting to be found by
the right application of expertise in all policy matters.

For the same reason, I am not in agreement with one of Avri's edits
where the call to adhere to canons or high principles of legitimate
policy making is sought to be replace by best practises in policy
making. This again suggests expertise and information-richness based
policy models, but i think this is much more 'political' than that.

Just my views, for whatever they are worth :)

Parminder

--

Parminder Jeet Singh
Executive Director