AW: [governance] Internet G8 meeting

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu May 5 08:17:28 EDT 2011

On Thursday 05 May 2011 01:58 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> On Thu, 05 May 2011 14:43:18 +0700, Norbert Klein <nhklein at gmx.net> wrote:
>

> There seems to be agreement that the IGC should respond (and I concur
> with this).  I would like to invite Wolfgang or Parminder to volunteer
> to write a first draft.  If they do not have time, I should be able to
> put something together as a draft based on their contributions to the
> list.

While I can try to put together some text, i am not sure what really do
we want to say. If it is *only* an appeal to make the G 8 meeting more
multistakeholder, as I have argued earlier, I am not interested. For me,
our communication should clearly make the point that in any discussion
on the kind of issues that the G8 meeting is taking up, all countries
must be included on an equal footing. And this is best done in a UN
forum rather than at such meeting of most powerful nations. We can refer
to the inherently global nature of the Internet and how policy decisions
taken by the most powerful countries by default largely become
applicable to the whole world.

We can then refer to the institutional forms that have been mandated by
the WSIS - enhanced cooperation and the IGF, and refer to subsequent UN
Gen Assembly  resolutions that the two processes are complementary. Thus
any global public policy development should not only involve all
countries and all stakeholders, it should also  always and continually
remain connected to the IGF as the agora where public opinion on key IG
issues is formed and shared. Something to this effect.

Now, if these elements look ok, I can do some drafting. Thanks, Parminder