AW: [governance] Internet G8 meeting

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu May 5 09:50:28 EDT 2011

The G8 meeting that's a concern seems to be a side event, not part of
the G8 proper.

See
<http://gigaom.com/2011/05/02/france-to-internet-g8-will-talk-to-you-for-a-price/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OmMalik+%28GigaOM%3A+Tech%29>

All the same, it's pretty offensive.

G8 in Okinawa/DOT Force did set some precedent for multi-stakeholder
involvement so the situation in France now more than a decade later
is a very great shame to see.  Like many first steps DOT Force was
hesitant and very far from ideal, but things have to start
somewhere/somehow.  The non-governmental stakeholders were hand
picked by their respective G8 governments (GLOCOM was the Japanese
rep.)  Developing country membership was very limited (Egypt,
Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania), but their involvement was also a
little unique at the time.  Looking back the recommendations were
naive. And it was undone by changes in government (Clinton to Bush),
and by moving things to the largely ineffectual UNICT Task Force.

FWIW the action item we worked on below. Now 10 years on.

France G8: Sarkozy and Internet Freedom just screams oxymoron.

Adam

AP5. Establish and Support Universal Participation in
Addressing New International Policy and
Technical Issues raised by the Internet and ICT
a) Support should be provided for developing country stakeholders --
governments, private companies, NPOs, citizens and academics-- to better
understand global Internet and other ICT technical and policy issues and to
participate more effectively in relevant global fora;
b) The resource network identified in Action Point 1 should provide information
on decisions that will be taken at such fora, an open platform for papers by
experts, and facilitation of the exchange of views;
c) Support a network of Southern-based expertise - which could access the
resource network identified in Action Point 1- to support the representatives
of developing countries as they seek to participate effectively in these fora
and address these issues in their own context;
d) Global policy and technical fora and organizations working on
Internet and ICT
issues should make a special effort to bring representatives of
developing nations
into their discussions and decision-making processes;
e) The United Nations ICT Task Force should be encouraged in its stated goal
of identifying options for involving developing country stakeholders in these
new issues.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org