[governance] Help from MAG colleagues

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 11:30:32 EDT 2011

If there were clearer structures of accountability within CS then it would
be a lot easier to find/advocate ways for broadening the basis for
participation to include under-represented groups... So long as CS is an
amorphous group without clear external linkages for accountability purposes
that makes linking into various grassroots groups for example, rather more
difficult since who is to link with who and on what basis.

Certain governments will represent certain interests at certain times, and
agreeing with Milton that there is no reason to assume that governments are
anymore reptesentative of their marginalized groups than anyone else except
that in democratic systems the marginalized do have a voice which on
occasion translates itself into policy including in relatively more esoteric
areas such as IG. A CS which is serious about ensuring voice for
marginalized groups would be actively seeking out allies among sympathetic
governments and equally using their linkages with these groups in particular
countries to lobby for appropriate policy positions on the part of those
governments in IG circles.

The case of Brazil (where I happen to be at the moment and in whose issues
around the Internet I am currently immersed) would seem to be the ideal
exemplar of the value of CS being more clear in its accountability
structures and having stronger links into local CS.

Mike