[governance] CSTD

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon May 24 09:26:21 EDT 2010

Having had a (limited) involvement, and before we become too enamoured of
the OECD "opening up" we should see it for what it is. The OECD has opened
up certain "technical" committees to "expert" CS and other participation ...
What that means in practice is that they are looking for expert knowledge on
the cheap i.e. for free, from civil society (and other) folks.  What that
means in turn is that effectively only those with significant institutional
funding i.e. the major funded NGO's with sufficient interest and resources
to finance and contribute expert knowledge can access meetings where the
agenda has been pre-set by the inter-governmental management structure.

>From a (fairly limited and fairly technical) major funded NGO/CS perspective
I can see some advantages to that, in specific and mostly
specialized/technical areas--standard setting for one... From the
perspective of CS or non-governmental actor participation in broader areas
of governance, hmmmm....