[governance] CSTD

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon May 24 12:15:47 EDT 2010

In message <03346C7B01EB4149A64C79514B667458 at userPC>, at 06:26:21 on
Mon, 24 May 2010, Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> writes
>Having had a (limited) involvement, and before we become too enamoured of
>the OECD "opening up" we should see it for what it is. The OECD has opened
>up certain "technical" committees to "expert" CS and other participation ...

Agreed. Not unlike the ITU's "relevant experts" in some of their work at
the moment.

>What that means in practice is that they are looking for expert knowledge on
>the cheap i.e. for free, from civil society (and other) folks.

I'm not sure there's any equivalent process that would pay for general
unsolicited "expert" input. Most of the time people are happy enough to
be let into the room.

You could try to make a case for a wide range of people with opinions to
be paid to air them in International fora, but again using the ITU as an
example they tend to pay to be present (ie sector members).

>What that means in turn is that effectively only those with significant
>institutional funding i.e. the major funded NGO's with sufficient
>interest and resources to finance and contribute expert knowledge can
>access meetings

It's usually possible to find someone's coat-tails if you are that
worried about getting an audience.

>where the agenda has been pre-set by the inter-governmental management
>structure.

And the agenda setting isn't as bleakly inaccessible as that comment
suggests.

>From a (fairly limited and fairly technical) major funded NGO/CS perspective
>I can see some advantages to that, in specific and mostly
>specialized/technical areas--standard setting for one... From the
>perspective of CS or non-governmental actor participation in broader areas
>of governance, hmmmm....

I definitely don't want to speak for any of the OECD's ACs, or their
constituent members, but would be surprised to find that it was as
difficult as you suggest to get involved.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org