AW: [governance] Consensus call on IGC statement: please respond

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jan 29 05:36:35 EST 2010

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> On 29/01/2010, at 6:14 PM, William Drake wrote:
>

>> Wolfgang is right, it's a process not an institution.
>>
>> So does that make the options
>>
>> YES + thematic working groups + process?
>> YES
>> NO
>>

> No, it means these points should have been made earlier. :-P
>
> I don't mean to be flippant or disrespectful to you or Wolfgang, but there is an underlying serious point which is that we have to draw the line somewhere, and I'm drawing the line at YES + thematic working groups, YES, and NO.  Sorry. :-)

Jeremy,

Since you have in any case opened the field I think it will be best to
redo the statement a bit, without adding anything controversial. Getting
a good statement may be a more important imperative. And we do still
have time. We have closed statements later than this previously.

I suggest - you remove the part on 'innovative contributions' reg MAG,
since there was always enough controversy regarding it for it not to be
there in first place....

and add, two substantive themes - development agenda and HR - for IGF
Vilnius.... these are our long standing demands.... and what is the
point not to suggest even broad areas for themes, when the present
meeting will decide the themes, and a good part of the IGF is about
these key themes for each IGF.

I will suggest we also propose 'Network Neutrality or Open Internet' as
a theme (good work was done on this theme by IGC co-sponsored workshop
in IGF Sharm on this issue, and this work should be taken forward in a
main session now)

(BTW, I would not suggest we rename IGF as a process. Let us keep it as
what WSIS describes it - a forum, if someone has a problem with the term
institution. Though i find it very strange those who reject intergov
governance systems/ bodies in IG space and ask for multistakeholder ones
also are the ones who keep weakening the structures and possibilities of
one MS structure that is emerging -- this riddle has been beyond me, but
lets keep it for some other time )

parminder