[governance] PLEASE RESPOND - draft statement on reform of the

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 09:24:39 EST 2010

I realise that this is probably too late and very poorly stated but PLEASE
could our contribution include a call for continuing work on facilitation of
multilingualism. I am particularly urged to this by the contributions of
Baudoin and "Internauta". The Internet Governance Forum (IGF) has brought us
all together. ALL have the right to speak EACH IN HIS OWN LANGUAGE. (I
recognise that the lingua franca of this list is agreed as English, but
whatever statement is made will be about the IGF generally)

Each of the IGFs I have attended (3 and 4) has expressed concern over access
for people with disabilities. In a world perceived as anglophone it is a
disability not to speak English. Arrangements for the blind and the deaf
have to accommodate themselves to the disability - one doesn't say "learn to
see" to a blind person - and are designed to make two way communication
possible. Language needs to be given similar attention.

One of the most basic of human rights is the right to speak and the right to
have access to what is spoken. This is also a matter of language.

Deirdre

2010/1/15 Eric Dierker <cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net>

> I do not think that this was too hard or too much to ask?  In earlier days
> we had "me too" posts. Writers and advocates cannot read minds -- especially
> 400. How do they know when they hit the mark or are offbase. One arguing
> contributor does not help us to read what many think.
>
> I do my best to contact my friends on the ground from Vladivostok to
> Tehran, from Cape Cod to Saigon, Falklands to Paris, Johanasberg to
> Montevideo,,, I read India Times and Al Jazeera, Washington Post (force
> myself to see some TV and listen to some radio) I study on-line and off --
> But I cannot know what the many here think ---. I read Mueller and Williams,
> Faussett and Cerf, Babtista and Avri but they do not help me know what is
> thought in your neighborhood.
>
> Even private posts are helpful.

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979