[governance] PLEASE RESPOND - draft statement on reform of the

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 15 10:07:33 EST 2010

Deirdre,

Your concerns are right and your plea is universal. All should strive for better understanding that transcends language. But I must caution you on two matters of rationale.
1. It is illconceived to equate langurage learning as a disability. Some are more talented and more skilled at multilingualism and others are not so gifted. But the normal is one language well. You do my deaf friend an injustice to equate my ignorance of Navajo to his inability to hear as you and I do. Those of us who struggle to understand a foreign additional tongue are not to be afforded the same dispensation as a person with a challenge of disability.
2. Anger at Anglophonia is misplaced. No one designed that. No one conspired that. You must treat it as a "just is" ASEAN is a wonderful organization (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) and it "just is" that their most common language is English and so it is most used.

But we speak of contributions to this list. All must be ready to help to understand. Those who generally do not speak up -- have a very wonderful gift of an opportunity to help translate. They can dive right in and contribute in their own lingua. Sometimes we must elevate our ability to work here from a right to a responsibility. In every endeavor there are places for contribution and places of demand to receive. We have found over the years that the best of breed for multilingualism comes not from demand to get but from willingness to contribute. I will fight and die for your right to be included and have your rights, but I cannot and will not do the same for your right not to contribute and not to learn new ways.

(in my southwest American home it is not unusual for my wife and that side of the family to try to leave me out by speaking French and Vietnamese - My side we use Spanish some Native American and a Shockabro Jive. And the best part is that we all are learning new tongues at all times but more importantly new ways to look at things and new ways to incorporate and include cultures and traditions)

Multilingualism must be a positive lifting up or it is a division.