[gaid-discuss] [governance] IGF and GAID

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jan 4 01:35:39 EST 2010

Yes, a number of developed countries are moving in the direction of a
rights based approach to Internet connectivity. Pity is, they still push
ICTD models for developing countries that resist any public goods
framework for basic ICT enablements including, but not limited to,
connectivity. Whether this anomaly is just a time-lag between different
government departments dealing respectively with internal social policy
and external development support, or is related to the fact that ICTs as
the means of knowledge flows and controls underlie the principal new
geo-political comparative advantage which is too precious to be
compromised in charity-mindedness, is a moot question - but a very
important one. Parminder