[governance] IGF and GAID

Raul Zambrano raul at sdnhq.undp.org
Wed Jan 6 07:49:12 EST 2010

Dear Hakik,

Thanks for the inputs.

Since you have mentioned UNDP, I think there is need for me to step up to
the plate and clarify a few things.

I think you are 100% right when you say that support for ICTD in the donor
community has declined, specially if we compared current activities to say
the late 1990s (and before the dot com crash). But on the other hand, I
think what has really changed is the way most development practitioners
see ICTD.

IMHO, we all used to promote ICTD as an end in itself. That was the main
goal in the 1990s and early 2000s. Not surprisingly there was a lot of
emphasis on infrastructure, access and connectivity.

>From 2003 on this has changed dramatically. Now we see ICT as en means to
an end. Take for example the Millennium Development Goals. The targets
here are all socio-economic and the idea is not to close the so-called
"digital divide" but rather to use the new ICTs to close the traditional
socio-economic and even governance divides that still exist in most
developing countries.

This is at least the approach we have taken at UNDP. This at the same time
entails that we work more closely together to all those other
practitioners who do the traditional development work and are not really
aware of the opportunities that ICT offer to solve many (not all!) issues.

In other words, ICTs are being mainstreamed into the core development
areas. And the challenge today is to make such mainstreaming a more
successful one  -as we all know that still many development programme
chose to ignore ICTs.

UNDP is still very active in the areas of ICT and e-governance. In 2008
alone for example we have over 150 programmes in over 70 developing
countries with budgets of over 200 million dollars. And many of these
programmes are supporting the achievement in one way or another broader
development goals.

I believe many other donors and agencies are taking the same approach. On
the other hand, I still see lots of opportunities to do lots of good work
supporting ICTs. So the future is still bright but it is very different
from the recent past. We just need to adjust to than and keep moving the
agenda forward.

Cheers, Raúl
Raúl Zambrano					304 East 45 Street
Senior Policy Advisor			 	10th Floor
ICTD & e-governance				New York, NY 10017
UNDP/BDP/DGG					212 906-6654
raul at undp.org					212 906-6952 (Fax)
http://ictd.undp.org/e-gov

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Hakikur Rahman wrote:

Dear Parminder,

I agree with you cent percent, but wish I could have knew those strange
reasons that you have mentioned. Not only UNDP, but seems majority of
development partners are no more interested in ICTD. For many years, it has
become stalled somewhere, when the field was really going to launch in many
lagging nations. Hope GAID, as it has been expected could come up with
something in this aspect.

Best regards,
Hakikur

At 06:48 02-01-2010, Parminder wrote:

       Jean-Louis FULLSACK wrote:
             Dear Parminder

             As usually your message clearifies the debate ;
             therefore all my thanks.

             > concrete suggestion for IGF reform, which may be
             taken up when the resolution/
             > discussion on IGF continuation finally comes up at
             the UN general
             > assembly or at the CSTD (there is a confusion at
             this stage how the
             > process will go forward).

             Isn't there another confusing situation with GAID as
             far as IG is dealing with Developing Countriers
             issues are concerned ?
             If this is the opinion of a majority among us, our
             relation with -and/or position on- GAID should be
             laid down accordingly.

       Dear Jean-Louis,

       Development has never been a serious political issue at WSIS,
       and has been even less so post-WSIS. It is for this reason that
       the levels of interest of major actors and therefore the
       trajectories of the IGF and GAID have been very different. (It
       is a different manner that the subject of development is treated
       as a red herring with such regularity, and often deviousness, in
       the IGF that it would make a very interesting study/ story.)

       IG is very political because it concerns the governance, and
       thus the possibilities of shaping, of the Internet. Development
       in post-WSIS structures has been seen in largely in the normal
       'charity view' of development, plus as new possibilities of
       political alliances for transnational businesses to expand their
       markets in developing countries. The fact is that, at present,
       no major actor of any significant power has really much interest
       in ICTD at the global level. (UNDP for some strange reasons has
       mostly withdrawn from this area.)

       So while IGF seems to be headed towards even keener political
       contests, GAID, post-Sarbuland, may be headed towards getting
       folded up into a regular UN department, doing mundane work
       (thats what I fear). The way GAID was run as a new age network
       had many huge problems - and we kept pointed them out at all
       GAID meetings - but it will be a mistake to forgo  its open
       new-age network structure for a bureaucratic UN department. What
       we need instead is a set of more focussed and clearer objectives
       and work plans, and a better network structure focussed on
       public interest actors, chiefly those involved with development
       issues.

       Parminder

             > many among us are focusing on just one thing - the
             > danger that ITU may take over the IGF

             Right. That is just another point of concern for me.
             not only because I was working in the (far) past
             with this Un Agency. I do think that IG needs a
             strong framework as to be able to apply in any
             country. Per se ITU isn't qualified for "governance"
             matters, but it happens to be an intergovernmental
             body that has a world-wide competence and
             standardization authority in the ICT/telecom domain,
             whose circuitry the Internet relies on. That's why I
             wonder if CS shouldn't rather put its efforts to
             gain both its place and respect inside this agency.
             The IGC should also remember that a large part of
             the CS orgs committed in the WSIS follow-up
             -especially those working in or with DCs- are
             struggling for CS being given a plain "ITU member"
             status.

             > there could also be new
             > options. Thematic working groups, inter-sessional
             programs, some
             > possibilities of clear advisory outcomes etc may
             be some things we have
             > earlier alluded to.

             Among these thematic working groups one should deal
             with some issues related to technical matters such
             as critical Internet resources, network
             architecture, network neutrality, etc

             With my best wishes for a happy and fruitful New
             Year
             Jean-Louis Fullsack

                   > Message du 31/12/09 10:20
                   > De : "Parminder"
                   > A : governance at lists.cpsr.org
                   > Copie à :
                   > Objet : Re: [governance] Online survey on
                   reform of the IGF

                   > Hi All
                   >
                   > While the survey may or may not provide
                   useful inputs for IGC's position
                   > on IGF reform, we should in any case discuss
                   the issue here on the list
                   > so that the coordinators can attempt a
                   consensus position.

                   > I do think that, in the formal consultation
                   process at Sharm, IGC failed
                   > to provide a comprehensive set of
                   suggestions, even the ones which we
                   > have often discussed in past and adopted by
                   consensus. We may still have
                   > a chance of putting our views forward, now
                   through the channel of
                   > government reps that may be on the lookout
                   for possible good concrete
                   > suggestion for IGF reform, which may be
                   taken up when the resolution/
                   > discussion on IGF continuation finally comes
                   up at the UN general
                   > assembly or at the CSTD (there is a
                   confusion at this stage how the
                   > process will go forward).
                   >
                   > While seeking to trigger a discussion on
                   this subject after Sharm I had
                   > pointed to fact that many among us are
                   focusing on just one thing - the
                   > danger that ITU may take over the IGF, (or
                   even that the IGF may be
                   > closed down), and consequently not engaging
                   as much as we should to
                   > propose real improvements in the IGF.
                   Apparently, the view is that if we
                   > breathe but one word on possible
                   improvements, it may be taken as
                   > statement of failure of the IGF and be used
                   by those keen on shutting
                   > down the IGF, or seeking an ITU take over of
                   it.

                   > One proof that these fears are hugely
                   exaggerated, and even
                   > diversionary, can be found in the fact that
                   recently a UN general
                   > assembly resolution for more stable public/
                   UN funding for the IGF
                   > (which some groups tend to equate with
                   possible ITU takeover) was shot
                   > down, and another one calling for more
                   voluntary contributions to the
                   > trust fund (status quoist) was adopted. One
                   can clearly see here who
                   > calls the shots and which way the wind is
                   blowing.

                   > So lets relax our exaggerated caution, and
                   boldly seek IGF reform of the
                   > kind we have asked for over the years, while
                   there could also be new
                   > options. Thematic working groups,
                   inter-sessional programs, some
                   > possibilities of clear advisory outcomes etc
                   may be some things we have
                   > earlier alluded to. I personally think that
                   we should also seek a
                   > clearer role for the MAG, and more agenda
                   setting power for it,
                   > including of developing recommendations and
                   advices as per the IGF
                   > mandate based on the proceedings of the IGF
                   and other WGs etc. There
                   > could be other possibilities, but we need to
                   discuss them, and maybe
                   > speak out at Feb meeting (even if thats not
                   the agenda) to catch the ear
                   > of some gov reps, and also pass our views on
                   directly to interested gov
                   > reps.
                   >
                   > Have a great last day of 2009, and wake up
                   to a hopeful and fruitful 2010!

            governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org