[governance] IGF and GAID

Ronda Hauben ronda.netizen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 16:23:29 EST 2010

Does anyone know what are the actual plans for the future of GAID?

It is good to see there is some discussion of it on these lists, but I am
wondering what is the actual plan for it, if there is one being planned
or in the process of being implemented?

I have proposed that those interested in integrating Internet development in
the development process have much to learn from studying and discussing the
actual development process that built the Internet.

When I returned home from the WSIS meeting in Tunis in 2005, I had some
discussion with someone who described the struggle in his country in Africa,
over how to spread the Internet.

The experience he described was about how commercial entities wanted to
limit how the Internet was used. Meanwhile there some in government who
recognized that there was a need to spread the Internet at a low cost,
especially in the education sector. He described the government idea of
wiring a government building and then using that to offer low cost or free
Internet education to the school systems nearby. Instead those interested in
commercial development claimed the wiring of the government building should
only serve the government site. The struggle between these two visions of
Internet development was not unique to that country, as I had experienced a
similar struggle in the US.

It seemed reviewing both the vision guiding early networking development and
the history of how the Internet was developed and spread in its early
phases, would be of value in general, and in particular to the developing
world.
Unfortunately, those drafting the millennium development goals didn't find a
way to build in this kind of focus into the goals themselves.

Happy New Year to all.

with best wishes

Ronda

--
Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet

http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook