[governance] Phase 1 of improvements to the IGC Web site

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 11:37:40 EST 2010

Hi Avri and Tracy,

Thanks for the prompt response. I see your point and I agree transparency is
valuable. I just would like to make two comments:

- I was not aware of what you mentioned: "the archive had been open to the
world for many years" and that the policy is "before you send a message, be
sure you would be ok if you saw it posted on a bulletin board". Maybe I
failed to read the subscription page with the attention deserved and this
misinformation is my fault. But in any case, I would like to suggest that
this is made clearer to newer members, like me, who have not been around
when these sort of things were discussed.

- To be honest, my opinion about it is that discussions of substance should
always be open. This is basic principle of transparency. But I tend to
believe that depending on how hard the political game is, sometimes it is
useful to discuss strategic actions with more privacy. Are attempts for
"privacy" effective? It depends. I participate on lists that have leaked,
others that have successfully carried out private political articulation to
face ponctual and concrete challenges. As the IG game tends to become harder
in the future, this is something to think about, in my opinion. Maybe this
is why separate lists were created to discuss "strategy", "outreach", and
most people agreed this should be the approach?

Anyway, I don't have a problem with complete transparency, I just believe
this should be made clearer to new members, as mentioned before.

Best!
Marilia

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that the archive had been open to the world for many years.  Just
> as subscribing to the list is open to everyone, even if they do not wish to
> be members proper.
>
> As a transparency maximalist, I would be sad to see either restricted.
>
> Besides, closed lists are only security by obscurity anyway, as any member
> of the list can forward/publish anything anytime they wish.  It is best to
> remember (not that I always do myself):  before you send a message, be sure
> you would be ok if you saw it posted on a bulletin board, or IGCleaks, for
> all to see.
>
> a.
>

> On 24 Dec 2010, at 10:34, Marilia Maciel wrote:
>
> > Now one concern. Although I think it is very useful to find our posts to
> the IGC list  in IGC website and although and I agree that IGC discussions
> should be transparent, I am worried that some strategic discussions we carry
> out here on the list would be accessible by anybody. I donĀ“t know, but maybe
> our members will start to think twice before saying something, and we may
> lose in some degree the frankness that has characterized the discussions on
> the list.
> >
> > I tend to believe that the content of e-mails sent to the list should
> only be accessible to members, after they log in on the platform, but I
> would very much like to hear other thoughts about it. Maybe when the blog
> section is ready our members can choose what they want to post to the world
> and what is internal conversation.

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio

Center for Technology and Society