[governance] JPA response - second draft for comments

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri May 29 11:57:59 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:
<snip>
organization and to
>> the growing intergovernmental machinations outside of it (witness this
>> week's CSTD meeting etc).
>

> What machinations were these?

I'd like to know as well, but here is an example of gov't machinations:

"GAC Responds to Board on Geographic Names

On 26 May 2009, the GAC submitted a final letter [PDF, 72K]

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/karklins-to-twomey-26may09-en.pdf

responding to the ICANN Board's concerns about the ability to
implement the provisions of article 2 of the GAC Principles regarding
new gTLDs, particularly paragraph 2.71. The letter recommends, as a
minimum, that the names contained in three internationally recognised
lists must be reserved at the second level at no cost to governments
of all new gTLDs. However, other issues relating to geographic names
at the top level and the potential misuse of the respective names at
the second level requires further discussion."

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org