[governance] JPA response - second draft for comments

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri May 29 09:09:26 EDT 2009

Ian

I thought that we would go for a compromise of the kind that will call
for end of JPA but mention that this should be accompanied by clear
commitment by all parties to begin a process of due internationalization
of oversight of ICANN, and submit to the outcomes of the same.

While it may be a difficult be clear about how the above is possible, we
can leave that vague in the statement. However the above formulation
should partly satisfy both sides - those who want JPA to end and those
who want it to be extended temporarily till alternative
internationalised arrangements are worked out ( with due
multistakeholder elements etc). I thought these were the two principal
sides of the discussion which took place on this list a few days ago.
The present formulation is too much on the side of those who just want
JPA to end. Vague mentions of some binding principles means little; of
course everyone is ready to adopt some binding principles when one is
not clear what they are. For many of us an external accountability/
oversight mechanism other than US gov-centred one is an absolute
non-negotiable.

Two more things;

We should *not add* multistakeholder principle to private sector
leadership but ask for the term 'private sector' to be *replaced* by
'multi-stakeholder system'. Also we need to clearly mention that we are
not for an industry-led ICANN but for a multi-stakeholder system. To
mention this is absolutely necessary because one of the questions
clearly mentions the term 'industry led'.

Second thing: we should mention explicitly that WSIS principles should
be explicitly included in the principles agreed to for ICANN
constitution. These principles are agreed to by the whole world
community. And as was discussed in open consultations and MAG meeting
WSIS principles are not just about democratic, multilateral,
transparent, multistakeholder IG etc (para 29 of Tunis agenda) also the
people-centric, development-oriented and inclusive aspects of IG (para 31).

I hope this is helpful.

Parminder