[governance] JPA

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed May 27 10:15:25 EDT 2009

While I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, Jeanette, I think you consistently make the incorrect assumption that the JPA is "the" oversight mechanism. It isn't, really. It's a way for the USG to insert specific goals and tasks into ICANN's policy agenda. Political reality dictates that these priorities are set in Washington.

IANA contract could be considered a true oversight authority, in the sense that if USG shifts that contract to someone else ICANN is dead, but again there is no globalized/internationalized legal or rule-bound criteria for making that decision about who to issue the contract to.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org