AW: AW: [governance] JPA

Vanda Scartezini vanda at uol.com.br
Wed May 27 14:11:26 EDT 2009

From my knowledge the IANA agreement is independent of JPA one.

Vanda Scartezini
POLO Consultores Associados
&  IT Trend
Alameda Santos 1470 cjs 1407/8
01418-903 Sao Paulo,SP.
Fone + 55 11 3266.6253
Mob + 5511 8181.1464

-----Original Message-----
From: Carlos Afonso [mailto:ca at rits.org.br]
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:48 AM
To: governance at lists.cpsr.org; "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang"
Cc: Parminder; Jeanette Hofmann; Ian Peter; Willie Currie
Subject: Re: AW: AW: [governance] JPA

Trying to understand exactly where we are and what would really be
achieved by the end of the JPA... One question: with the end (for good)
of the JPA, what would happen with the IANA USDoC/ICANN contract and the
CRADA agreement?

--c.a.

Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wrote:
> Thanks Parminder
>
> Good points. However my main point is to discuss (and develop) a mechanism
which does not fall back into 20th century policy understanding.

> ________________________________

offices who need to know and judge better and are entrusted responsibility
for ensuring public interest succumbed to their spin.

> 	 Oversight implies that there is somebody with a final authority, it
implies a master-slave relationship.

> It is the public interest - private interest relationship. Your
master-slave analogy is completely false and misleading.

> 	 Is this what the community wants to have? Who would be the master?
>
> The master, if you intend to keep using the term, is and will be public
interest defined  by our social and political arrangements (in their
continuous evolution, no doubt).

> 	An "Accountability framework" is much better. It is interactive and
allows a distributed system where accountability /(and certain degree of
oversight) comes via diverse contractual arrangements among the parties
directly involved in a special subject.

> Bill's email of a few days back describes an exchange in an ICANN meeting
which captures beautifully  the meaning of policy vis a vis contract making
and public interest. It also capture the understandable recalcitrance of
certain vested interests to not see this difference. I quote Bill's email

> "... during the  Joint AC/SO meeting Mexico City.  When panelists were
asked by the moderator to describe how they see policy development
processes, a leading member of the business constituency and of the GNSO
Council replied that policy was about making better contracts, full stop, a
view that was echoed by others. In response, Bertrand suggested that policy
was about advancing the global public interest, to which some others replied
that they didn't know what the term could really mean.  "

> parminder
>

> 	 With other words: No "one oversight for the whole ICANN" but
various accontable mechanisms for various ICANN functions.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org