[governance] JPA

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Wed May 27 10:32:55 EDT 2009

My wording might be sloppy and you are correct to point this out,
Milton. Yet I would say that the JPA produces effects of an oversight
mechanism.
The USG has delegated certain tasks to ICANN and could simply stop doing
so. The JPA creates a veto power even if this veto power is not
mentioned in the JPA. Otherwise the USG could not use the JPA as a means
  to "inject" goals and tasks into ICANN's policies.

I think that all regulatory agencies should be subject to some form of
external control or oversight. This external agency is supposed to
ensure that existing rules and laws, which you referred to in your
previous mail are followed. While we have established procedures on the
national level, this is a less straightforward problem on the
international level. One of the few if not the only international
organization with "teeth" is the WTO. What would be a good approach to
the Internet? Would we be happy with an intergovernmental model?

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org