[governance] China: "we don't agree that the IGF should

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed May 20 07:51:00 EDT 2009

In message <4A13C2E0.7050102 at rits.org.br>, at 05:44:16 on Wed, 20 May
2009, Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br> writes
>BTW, according to ISO and ICANN there are about 243 ccTLDs, roughly
>mapping into about the same number of countries. I guess then there are
>more than just "2 or 3" countries not belonging to the ITU.

There are some uninhabited islands in that list [1], as well as
territories like Gibraltar, Jersey and Guernsey which are probably
represented at the ITU by the likes of the UK. But what this highlights
is that there are several different lists of "what is a country", and
ISO3166 is just one example.

[1] my current favourite is Heard Island; but perhaps the penguins need
to get some Internet connectivity first, before they have to worry about
the effects of Cybercrime.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org