[governance] China: "we don't agree that the IGF should

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed May 20 11:24:02 EDT 2009

Hi Carlos,

Oddly enough, I'm writing this as I listen to you talk about e-poverty
on a panel...

On May 20, 2009, at 10:44 AM, Carlos Afonso wrote:

> This is actually not a problem regarding access to information --
> the material being produced by ITU on cybersecurity and the outreach
> of Impacta will not be limited to ITU membership, I learned yesterday.

Suggest we need to be more specific here.  Whatever the new Impact
group plans to do, it's not obvious this affects other ITU work on
cybersecurity.   For example, the technical standards/recommenations
adopted by ITU-T SG 13 on security require access via an ITU TIES
account, so non-members cannot really see what's really going on with
issues like trace back and digital identity standards.  Other
components of the Global Cybersecurity Agenda, e.g. the work of the
High-Level Experts Group on Cybersecurity, are also quite opaque to
outsiders.

ITU has set up a platform "for collaboration amongst interested
stakeholders in cybersecurity within the framework of WSIS Action Line
C5 and the ITU Global Cybersecurity Agenda."   http://groups.itu.int/Default.aspx?alias=groups.itu.int/gcahleg
   It might be good if some interested stakeholders from CS were to
register, or attempt to, and let us all know how that's going.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate