[governance] Call for Action: Your comments can Support

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 01:18:49 EDT 2009

Hello,

On 3/26/09, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org> wrote:

> Hi McTim,
>
> ICANN's structure is divided into various groupings, intended to balance
> responsibility and power between different sectors.
>
> NCUC is part of the GNSO (which includes most organizations, commercial &
> noncommercial).
>
> We have many ISOC members who are also in NCUC (ISOC and NCUC are not
> automatically mutually exclusive).

My question was about ISOC staff, not members.  Do you count them as
CS or an "industry body"? If an industry body, which industry
precisely?

> Also within the GNSO, there is an Internet Service Provider Constituency,
> which is where the ISPs live at ICANN.

So what you are saying is that no person who works at an ISP is
eligible for membership at all? As we both know, that constituency is
not very active.  ISP staff are the most active in the RIR communities
that make up the ASO, so I would suggest that ISPs "live" in ICANN in
the ASO more than the ISP constituency.

> There is also an ASO structure at ICANN where Regional Internet Registries
> belong in the ICANN structure.

I am fully aware of this. I just don't see why this excludes staff of
an RIR, since they don't make policy, the community of the RIR does
that.

> Here is an ICANN Structure chart:
>   http://www.icann.org/en/about/
>
> So ICANN works by having someone participate in one of the different
> "supporting organizations" such as the GNSO or the ASO (or CCnso for country
> code tlds),

Well, I know many ccTLD folks who participate in the RIR communities
AND the ccNSO.  Are you saying this is somehow verboten?  I reject as
nonsensical the notion that people fit into one and only one silo
within ICANN.  It's just not the case!

Your proposal is still too restrictive for my liking. While it may be
more palatable than the alternative, I still can't support it.

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org