[governance] Call for Action: Your comments can Support

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Mar 27 07:05:18 EDT 2009

In message <f65fb55e0903262218pd1fcbb8q8e56391dc20724fb at mail.gmail.com>,
at 08:18:49 on Fri, 27 Mar 2009, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> writes
>> Also within the GNSO, there is an Internet Service Provider Constituency,
>> which is where the ISPs live at ICANN.
>
>So what you are saying is that no person who works at an ISP is
>eligible for membership at all? As we both know, that constituency is
>not very active.

ISPs are one of the major operators of Name Servers (on behalf of their
customers-wearing-registrant-hats), and large numbers of domains are
registered through ISPs.

>ISP staff are the most active in the RIR communities that make up the
>ASO, so I would suggest that ISPs "live" in ICANN in the ASO more than
>the ISP constituency.

But the ASO doesn't have an input into Domain Name policy (as far as I
can see).

>> There is also an ASO structure at ICANN where Regional Internet Registries
>> belong in the ICANN structure.
>
>I am fully aware of this. I just don't see why this excludes staff of
>an RIR, since they don't make policy, the community of the RIR does
>that.

Again, it doesn't really matter in this case who feeds policy into the
ASO (although I agree it's the communities not the RIR secretariats)
because the ASO is in a completely different silo compared to the GNSO.

>> Here is an ICANN Structure chart:
>>   http://www.icann.org/en/about/
>>
>> So ICANN works by having someone participate in one of the different
>> "supporting organizations" such as the GNSO or the ASO (or CCnso for country
>> code tlds),
>
>Well, I know many ccTLD folks who participate in the RIR communities
>AND the ccNSO.  Are you saying this is somehow verboten?  I reject as
>nonsensical the notion that people fit into one and only one silo
>within ICANN.  It's just not the case!

Especially when one silo is discussing names, and the other numbers.

--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org