[governance] NN Workshop Thread

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Mar 24 03:45:00 EDT 2009

Hi All

I support the proposal to have a NN workshop.

I find Milton's question - what is the GLOBAL angle on it - interesting.

In fact so interesting, that I think we should have a workshop on this
issue alone. 'NN - What is the GLOBAL angle on it'. In any case it is
always better to have more focussed issues for workshops.

I do often wonder that if US, or US plus EU, decide that such-and-such
NN regulation is necessary to be observed by the concerned actors, would
that not set the default global regime for NN. Do developing countries -
even a relatively larger and more powerful one  like India - have any
serious options but to accept the default regime.

What NN issues extend across the global Internet, or are likely to so
extend? What accordingly are NN issues that are best dealt by a globally
democratic system - and if there isnt one at present, the problems that
such a situation presents.

Discussing NN in terms of global Internet policy will be in accordance
of the central mandate of the IGF as a policy dialogue forum for global
Internet policy issues. parminder