[governance] NN Workshop Thread

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 14:14:01 EDT 2009

Please post your ideas for a NN Workshop on this thread. I have pasted below
the previous discussion I found. Thanks.

Ginger suggested:

Mixed panel on NN: experts from CS, business and government presenting
different sides-we had a great discussion on the NN panel last year, but
were missing the academic viewpoint.

 Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu

As for Net Neutrality, what is the GLOBAL angle on it? What would a
discussion contribute that hasn't already been said. The only new
development there is the rise of Deep Packet Inspection, which Ralf is
working on and perhaps a WS on that would be useful, too

Ralf Bendrath <bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de

I guess it would be interesting to invite some folks from IETF and related
 transnational tech forums. The NN debates have so far mostly focused on
regulations by government agencies or the EU, but the IETF for example has
also done some work on "what constitutes fairness in bandwidth
management", e.g. here:
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-relax-fairness-00>
They are also working on less infringing ways of dealing with the massive
volume of P2P traffic:
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-p2pi-cooper-workshop-report-01>

Oh, and then there are a number of techies who say that the end-to-end
principle is dead already, because of NAT and related issues. One of our
colleagues in Delft has done a bit of work on this, and the CCC nerds in
Bremen just told me the same over the weekend.

Bottom line: As you may remember, we had a hard time ourselves here
recently defining what "NN" would mean exactly. So I guess some technical
capacity building could not hurt at all here. ;-)

> The only new development there is the rise of Deep Packet Inspection,

Not only. It's also the spread of the "filtering" debates around the
world, even in democratic countries. We're just having it in Germany now.
:-(

> which Ralf is working on and perhaps a WS on that would be useful, too

I am all for a workshop on NN and/or on DPI. This might also be a nice
chance for collaboration with the IGF Dynamic Coalitions on Internet
Rights and Principles, on Privacy, and on Freedom of Expression.

Meryem Marzouki <marzouki at ras.eu.org>

Exactly, and probably not only _technical_ capacity building. One of the -
many - aspects I'd fbe interested to discuss is the reasons why some old
issues are now being reframed into NN issues, by whom/which actors, and what
are the implications of this reframing.
e.g. content filtering is more an more addressed as a NN issue, rather than
a content censorship (i.e. a right violation) issue.

In any case, an IGC workshop is worth proposing on this theme.
Best,
Meryem

Ginger

Ms. Virginia (Ginger) Paque